Friday, March 20, 2009

Opportunities You Might Be Interested In...

I’ve been very busy over the last week reaching out to people, connecting them with helpful information, possible job leads and other resources.  It’s amazing how much you’ll learn by getting involved.  Personally, I find it rewarding to be able to help out.  The last couple days, I met some people for coffee, some for lunch to just catch up and reach out.  Last night, I was at the PMI-SNC meeting and I’ve met some good people.  I even met someone I worked with years ago and another gentleman that I’ve only known online.  Before I start today’s post, I want to say “Hello” to my new connections — Bill, James, Adam, Tamyalew, and Verner.  Welcome to my corner on the web.  :)

Considering there’s been more and more job-related information I’m receiving, I might have to create a separate category for job seekers that will contain job postings, announcements, free services, unemployment info, etc.  This will also help me reduce my typing and yapping.  :)

Before I get into today’s post, just a friendly reminder and disclosure, I am NOT affiliated nor do I have direct connection nor compensated by any of these companies.  I’m simply volunteering my time and sharing information that I come across.  Please contact them directly for job opportunities you’re interested in.  Thank you.

In Las Vegas, NV:

In Southern California (San Diego, Oceanside, San Marcos, Carlsbad area):

Although there are tons of jobs posted online, I highly recommend building and growing your professional network and remain connected with your contacts.  Networking is key to your next opportunity.  Considering almost everybody under the sun that’s unemployed is going on the internet for job search, that really makes your chance of getting a job slim to zilch.  Majority of the jobs are filled internally .  The rest, through referrals.  There’s only a small percentage that get their foot in the door through job boards.  Here’s a study conducted by CareerXRoads.  You can increase your chances tremendously going for the unadvertised jobs by connecting with people.  

Build your profile on LinkedIn for professional networking.  Join social networks such as FaceBook.  Get onTwitter.  One other thing that I’m passionate about and highly recommend is volunteering.  Remember my post on giving first before receiving???  Well, here’s your chance.  Visit Volunteer Match for more info.  To take it a step further, be THE CHANGE America needs.  I’m a citizen co-sponsor of the Serve America Act. Don’t wait for change. Change starts with each and everyone of us.  Get involved.  Let’s make service central to citizenship and building a brighter future for our people and our children.  To become a citizen co-sponsor, click here.  To learn more about the Serve America Act, visit Be The Change Action online.